Posted On 20 May 2015
Memorial Day Weekend Travel Tips
This weekend will be the kick-off to a very busy travel season. While a Memorial Day weekend can be a lot of fun, getting to your destination can be a headache. Here are some tips to help you plan your weekend efficiently.
- Check to see if your airport offers any special drop-off and pick-up locations to avoid those hectic terminal curbs. Then see if the airline you are flying with offers travelers the option of checking bags before they arrive at the terminals. Lastly, if you will be driving yourself to the airport, look to see if there is the option to book/pre-pay for airport parking, YourWestValley.com.
- Get to the airport early, print tickets at home, check-in for your flight at home, streamline yourself for security checks, etc. – all of these seem like no-brainers just make sure you do them, IBTimes.com.
- If you will be traveling by car this weekend, take your car in to make sure it is ready for the ride! AAA estimates that they will rescue 350,000 motorists this weekend. Make sure your car battery, your tires, engine fluids and all the things in between are in great working condition, IBTimes.com.
- The heaviest traffic for the upcoming weekend is predicted to be on Thursday, Friday, and Monday in the afternoons and early evenings. It is suggested that those driving plan to avoid getting on the road between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., particularly on those three days, Patch.com.
- For those who left their planning to the last minute, look for the deals. Unfortunately the time to be picky has passed, but flexibility is key in finding a desirable place to spend your Memorial Day Weekend. Look into business cities, they tend to get emptied out on Holiday weekends and offer travelers the opportunity to experience beautiful hotels for much cheaper than usual, Today.com.
- Gas this year is much cheaper than last year, so consider a road-trip. Are you the spontaneous type? If so find a location and drive up, once you have arrived use a site such as HotelTonight to book a room, Today.com.